Friday 6 May 2011

CARBON NEUTRALIZING

 I have just read pros and cons about making the blog carbon neutral. What does it mean?


Apparently, having a blog does leave a carbon footprint, which means it participates in the climate change. According to a study by Alexander Wissner-Gross, PhD, physicist at Harvard University and environmental activist, "an average website causes about 0.02g (0,0008oz.) of carbon dioxide for each visit. Assuming an average blog gets 15,000 visits a month, it has yearly carbon dioxide emissions of 3,6kg (8lb.). This can mainly be tracked back to the immense energy usage from (mainframe) computers, servers, and their cooling systems".


So what can we do? An initiative that started in Germany is called "My Blog is Carbon Neutral" and the steps are simple: we send an e-mail with the link of our blog, and they plant a tree for each blog, to neutralize the carbon it helped produce. As simple as that.






However there are many opinions that this is simply useless and not so alarming. But I decided to participate. If they really plant a tree in my name I couldn't be happier. And honestly happier than having 15,000 visitors a month!


I love my beautiful planet.



















All the images are from my In 80 Days Pinterest board, where you can find the links to the original sources.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...